• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

I have this dell All-in-one PC, And the motherboard in it went bad. 

Its a Dell Inspirion One 2305, I was wondering if could just swap out another motherboard instead of paying 300$ for a new board ? 

Will i be able to do that and still have all the functions like the touch screen and stuff still work 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

i know that dell has a few of these models that are similar but they cost some money, and i wasnt sure if they would work in this one. 

This motherboard is known for having issues, Its another reason why i didnt want to spend money on a replacement on the same board

#2 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

This really sucks, you know why? Because those mainboard are pricy just because it's like a laptop mb. Small and compact.

A few questions, what is the specific problem? Is there no post, nothing at all or what are the symptoms?
And if you have post and video signal did you try to run memtest86?

#3 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

This really sucks, you know why? Because those mainboard are pricy just because it's like a laptop mb. Small and compact.

A few questions, what is the specific problem? Is there no post, nothing at all or what are the symptoms?
And if you have post and video signal did you try to run memtest86?

There is no video at all.

when i press the power button the emblem lights up , you can hear the fan kick on and the you seen the screen flicker on once( its the backlight turning on), The whole time the screen is black 

I got this computer from my dads friend, I was told by them it was the motherboard. They took it to some place and had it checked.

I havent tried a memtest yet, I didnt think that a bad memory would cause that. 

#4 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

There is no video at all.

when i press the power button the emblem lights up , you can hear the fan kick on and the you seen the screen flicker on once( its the backlight turning on), The whole time the screen is black 

I got this computer from my dads friend, I was told by them it was the motherboard. They took it to some place and had it checked.

I havent tried a memtest yet, I didnt think that a bad memory would cause that. 

Alright, i have not much experience with this kid of pcs. But my idea of how it was caused, is i think because of overheating.

And no buying a new mainboard is not worth it if you ask me. So you could better sell the spare parts unless for he harddrive if you want to on ebay or so.

#5 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

Im looking at buying a rasberry Pi , Do you think i could use the screen from it for the rasberry pi ? 

Edit: can i atleast pull out the processor ? or is it built into the board ? 

Edited by Socal93, 04 July 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#6 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Im looking at buying a rasberry Pi , Do you think i could use the screen from it for the rasberry pi ? 

Edit: can i atleast pull out the processor ? or is it built into the board ? 

The cpu should not be build-in (embedded). So you can take that out. Same for the ram, heatsink, odd, hdd etc.

The screen is another story i don't know how it is internally connected. It could be possible that it's a LVDS cable. But i am not sure, you have to verify this yourself. Also did you try to connect a external monitor to the VGA male out? I am reading on some websites that the power unit of the monitor in this model sometimes goes bad (and if this is the problem it will only be a simple 3 dollar fix with new capacitors).

• Socal93 likes this

#7 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

There is no VGA plugins on the sides . So i how would i be able to test that ?

#8 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

There is no VGA plugins on the sides . So i how would i be able to test that ?

According to google images there used to be a male vga connector in the back of the pc.

32.27KB   0 downloads

If that is not the case, could you maybe open up the screen psu and look at this for bad components on the pcb.
I just checked ebay and indeed a new mb costs around 200 us. It also has the video out on the mb. So the gpu is onboard and not dedicated like in some laptops.

57.31KB   0 downloads

So the only thing you could try is to check the screen power unit board. If this board is working and looking fine then i assume that the mb is broken. En thus will cost around 200us to replace (if you do it yourself).

Edit. I am not sure but in some models it has a dedicated gpu. And not onboard. Could can you verify this?
It might also just be a faulty gpu.

A used one is like 75 us on ebay.

You can also put a lower end card in it to save bucks. But if you are going to try this i would first try to go to a local it store and ask if they have a dedicated laptop gpu to test it for you. Before you buy one for a broken mb.

#9 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the help man , sorry i replied late... Been working crazy hours at work. Im actually about to open it up and see whats going on in there ill reply with some pictures

• x58 likes this

#10 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Those are the links to the pictures, Dont know how to add them the way you did it.

So what are those connection pieces circled in red ?

And how do i go about testing this ?

If there was a GPU it would be located on the back right ? or would i have to take apart the whole thing ?

Edited by Socal93, 13 July 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#11 Hess

Hess

Intelligence Service

• Loyalist
  • 3,256 posts
  • LocationBelgrade
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

These pieces circled in red are connectors to VGA cable , if I manage to find something that looks like VGA , no matter is it or not , this is place where You plug such cable with VGA connector to outside. I think on first picture that You have one on upper left corner near that fat black cable. On second picture , I can see them , You need an cable which looks like addon for old RS-232 outside connector. When You plug such cable in it , connect external monitor to it and start the computer up. :) You should see whether or not it works , if not working , GPU might be dead , BTW , do You have P.O.S.T. diagnostics card ? :) As it shows as much as it is advanced hardware failures in about 90+ % of time. :)

#12 Manus

Manus

Banned

• Banned
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

It reminds me of my Asus :( borm 2010 .Died. 2011 :( .

take that to service center dudeeeeeee.They fix professionally

#13 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Those are the links to the pictures, Dont know how to add them the way you did it.

So what are those connection pieces circled in red ?

And how do i go about testing this ?

If there was a GPU it would be located on the back right ? or would i have to take apart the whole thing ?

The model you have is a cheaper model which has no VGA male out on the back. It has a onboard gpu with an internal connector to the LCD panel. If it has no more warranty what i am pretty sure of is to just check the LCD panel power board. If this looks fine you could try to go with it to a IT hardware store and ask them to test it with an dedicated gpu installed in it. It might just be the gpu but it can also be another part on the mb. Don't know this to be honest. Did it never had strange vertical lines through the screen like

before it died?

262.34KB   0 downloads

#14 Socal93

Socal93

Intermediate Member

• Members ++
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

The model you have is a cheaper model which has no VGA male out on the back. It has a onboard gpu with an internal connector to the LCD panel. If it has no more warranty what i am pretty sure of is to just check the LCD panel power board. If this looks fine you could try to go with it to a IT hardware store and ask them to test it with an dedicated gpu installed in it. It might just be the gpu but it can also be another part on the mb. Don't know this to be honest. Did it never had strange vertical lines through the screen like

before it died?

I wouldnt know about any strange vertical lines in the screen, from what i was told it was working fine then one minute after it just died. I got the computer after it was already broken.

I went to google and searched for an rs-232 cable, all i found was usb to vga and some wierd looking cables that look like one end connects to two pins and the other end was a usb

Im not really sure what cables i need. this is the first of ever hearing about this kinda of cable.

So this model has onboard graphics then ? How do i go about pluging in a another graphics card to check see if that would work. I haven worked on a laptop motherboard before, So how would you even put one in ? I know with desktops, most motherboards have a slot in them for it .

So would the LCD panel powerboard be on the motherboard or be someone else ?

#15 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

I went to google and searched for an rs-232 cable, all i found was usb to vga and some wierd looking cables that look like one end connects to two pins and the other end was a usb

It's VGA not serial female (232). VGA is 15 pin and RS232 has only 9 pins. The model you have does not even have VGA out.

So this model has onboard graphics then ? How do i go about pluging in a another graphics card to check see if that would work. I haven worked on a laptop motherboard before, So how would you even put one in ? I know with desktops, most motherboards have a slot in them for it .

Yes i think it's an onboard AMD/ATI gpu. Not sure though but a quick look at the chipset makes confident that it's AMD through. About the dedicated gpu, you will need something like

. And it should be installed on the mb like you do with so-dimm ram. The interface type of this gpu is mxm-a.

So would the LCD panel powerboard be on the motherboard or be someone else ?

It should be located on the right side of the mb outside of the LCD panel itself. I'm not sure how this looks like on this model or if it even has a logic and power board located in the outside of the screen and next to the mb. You have to check this yourself.

#16 Hess

Hess

Intelligence Service

• Loyalist
  • 3,256 posts
  • LocationBelgrade
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I was wrong , as I got tricked by picture , but , get  good P.O.S.T. diagnostics card , it reads all boot sequences and displays hex codes , when it reaches last one and stops , if there is failure , You can check Your manual for card and see what that error code means. :) Advanced P.O.S.T. cards have firmwares and so on on them , so , You always get correct code during startup of computer. :)

#17 x58

x58

Advanced

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I was wrong , as I got tricked by picture , but , get  good P.O.S.T. diagnostics card , it reads all boot sequences and displays hex codes , when it reaches last one and stops , if there is failure , You can check Your manual for card and see what that error code means. :) Advanced P.O.S.T. cards have firmwares and so on on them , so , You always get correct code during startup of computer. :)

Problem is this pc does not have a PCI slot ;)
It only has a mxm-a gpu slot. Which can obviously only be used for a gpu.